colleges

Top 10 Colleges In kolkata

Top 10, colleges in kolkata

Colleges in Kolkata have ranked the best among the top colleges in India. Some of best colleges like International Institute of Hotel Management, St. Xavier’s College which is the most recognized college in the world.

International Institute of Hotel Management

International Institute of Hotel Management is a part of the IndiSmart Group, a large conglomerate that operates the IndiSmart Hotels and offers a wide range of services in the field of Hospitality Management Education Training & Consultancy in India and the South East Asia. Founded in 1994.

International Institute of Hotel Management

International Institute of Hotel Management

IIHM was the first collegiate program in the country offering discerning students the opportunity to be trained in globally recognised skills and earn an International Degree in Hospitality Management through its collaboration with The Edinburgh Napier University, UK and tie-up with University of West London, London.

  • Established Year:1994
  • Accreditation :NCHMCT
  • Facilites: Canteen, sports, Auditorium, Modern kitchens, Auditorium
  • Top courses: B.A, B.SC
View Complete Details

St. Xavier’s College

A host of seven Belgian Jesuits arrived at Calcutta in November 1859, under the leadership of Fr. H. Depelchin (Rector: 1860-1871), in the Founding Father of the second St. Xavier’s, They shifted St. Xavier’s from Chowringhee to the Sans Souci Theatre in January 1860, which is now the honest home of learned professors and zealous students.

St. Xavier's College

St. Xavier’s College

With one hundred and fifty two years of service to the nation, St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata, has grown today into a leading educational institution in India. Both St. Xavier’s School and College are proud of their contribution to the cause of education and culture in Bengal for 152 years. These twin institutions have produced many great educationists and students who earned regard and respect for their Alma Mater.
Fr. E. Lafont was appointed Rector in October 1871, He was a gifted teacher of physics. The terrible cyclone of November 1864 proved the begging of his fame. The catastrophe might have been much greater, had not Fr. Lafont signaled the timely warning.
It was Fr. O’Neill (Rector: 1904-1913) who gave the College its crest and the motto: Nihil Ultra, a motto, significant and suggestive of a noble ideal, of an unconquerable hope, that urges the Xaverian to a consistent quest for the higher. The motto of the young Xaverian is the old maxim: ” Perfectum nihil est, aliqiriddum restat agentiim” (Nothing is Perfect as long as anything remains to be done).
The tiny seed has grown into a mighty tree. In the year of its centenary (1960), St. Xavier’s had on its rolls 3503 students. It has, now 50 years later, 7, 106 students of whom 2,162 are in the school and 4,944 in the college. A total teaching stuff of 213 is educating them. The school section, starting from the Primary, leads up to the ISC Final Examination. The College offers UG and PG Courses under five faculties: Arts, Science, Commerce, Business Administration and Education.

  • Established Year:1860
  • Accreditation :NAAC
  • Facilites: Canteen, sports, Boys Hostel, Girls Hostel, Internet Centre
  • Top courses: B.A, B.SC, M.SC
View Complete Details

Goenka College of Commerce and Business Administration

Snugged amidst Bowbazar and College Street crossing, Goenka College of Commerce and Business Administration encloses within its cloisters a rich cultural legacy of a century. Here, within its four high walls, the soil smells fresh with the fragrance of memories of the bygone times when commercial studies began to put its footprints into the ever widening horizon of new thoughts and knowledge. With the gradual march of time, the study of commerce anchored its roots firmly and Goenka College became the premier institution of teaching commerce in the city.

Goenka College of Commerce and Business Administration

Goenka College of Commerce and Business Administration

It all began in the auspicious year of 1903 when the Director of Public Instruction, Government of Bengal, introduced a two year senior course in commercial studies in Presidency College, Kolkata. By leaps and bounds it developed into a separate Commercial Institute in 1905. In the same year the syllabus underwent a thorough revision and a number of subjects began to be taught to meet the requirements of the office assistants of the time. In 1907, the Commercial classes were shifted from Presidency College to 303, Bowbazar Street. As the classes became more and more popular, students enrolment increased and larger space was required. The spacious building of 285, Bowbazar Street served the purpose, but with the introduction of the new course of Banking it was shifted to 11, Hastings Street, then to 19, Wellesley Square and finally to Netaji Subhas Road by 1928.
The Institution finally acquired its present position at 210, Bepin Behari Ganguly Street, Kolkata in 1951. Owing to the benevolent Goenkas, it remained comfortably in its present location replacing the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science. The Institution now came to be called Goenka College of Commerce and Business Administration whose main objective was to create competent professionals for the fast developing business and growing service sector in post-colonial India. The uniqueness of the college lies in the fact that it is an institution that teaches exclusively commerce subjects and had started teaching the subjects even before the University of Calcutta had its commerce stream. In 1930 the course of the final examination of the college was recognized by the University of Calcutta as equivalent to its Intermediate Examination. In 1948 the College was granted affiliation to the All India Council for Technical Education for imparting education in the National Diploma Course in Commerce. Since 1931 the College has been affiliated to the University of Calcutta for teaching the B.Com. Course.

  • Established Year:1905
  • Accreditation :AICTE
  • Facilites: Canteen, sports, Boys Hostel, Girls Hostel, Gym
  • Top courses: B.Com, M.Com, MBA
View Complete Details

Lady Brabourne College

Lady Brabourne College, with its lush green lawns and gardens opposite the Park Circus Maidan is one of the premier Institutions for women’s education in India. Established by the Government of Bengal in July 1939 and named after the wife of Lord Brabourne, the Governor of Bengal till February 1939, the college made a humble beginning with 35 Muslim students and 9 faculty members in a rented house in Park Circus. The foundation stone of the building in which it is presently housed was laid on 26th August 1939 by Sir J. Woodhead the then Governor of Bengal. Ever since the college has expanded structurally and academically earning the reputation of having an excellent academic environment and has celebrated its Diamond Jubilee on the 26th August, 1999.

Lady Brabourne College

Lady Brabourne College

The college has a dedicated and sincere faculty for whom the academic interests of the students are of utmost importance and can boast of consistently excellent results in the University examinations, far surpassing the University average. So while no compromises are made in so far as teaching is concerned the teachers are always ready to support and encourage the students in other activities as well. A cordial yet informal teacher student relationship exists creating an atmosphere conducive to all-round progress while also laying emphasis on overall personality development. Seminars and Workshops are an integral part of the departmental activities and renowned academicians and statesmen have found it pleasurable to associate themselves with the proceedings of this college. Most of the teachers are engaged in research work at the doctoral and post- doctoral levels furthering their own education simultaneously. At present several U.G.C. sponsored research projects are underway in different departments. In the Geography, Microbiology, Zoology and Physics departments research scholars are employed in Ph.D programs under the guidance of faculty members.

Old students of the college are welcome to join the Alumni Association of the college to be able to enjoy regular interaction on the college campus in various activities. Old students’ day was traditionally celebrated on the 25th August but owing to the schedule of examinations of Calcutta University under the (I+I+I) system the program now takes place in December.

  • Established Year:1939
  • Accreditation :NAAC
  • Facilites: Canteen, sports, Girls Hostel, Seminar Hall, Laboratory
  • Top courses: B.Sc, B.A(Hons), M.SC
View Complete Details

Calcutta National Medical College

Calcutta National Medical College is the new name of the Calcutta National Medical Institute (Estd 1948) which was established bu the amalgamation of National medical institute (Estd 1921) and Calcutta medical institute (Estd 1907) at 32 Gorachand Road, Calcutta-14.

Calcutta National Medical College

Calcutta National Medical College

Now the College and hospital is under the Department of Health & Family Welfare, Govt of West Bengal since 1967.
Founder Principle of the college was Dr Sundari Mohan Das.

  • Established Year:1948
  • Accreditation :MCI
  • Facilites: Canteen, Hospital, Girls Hostel, Seminar Hall, Medical
  • Top courses: MBBS, MD, MS
View Complete Details

KPC Medical College and Hospital

KPC Medical College (KPCMC&H) is a state-of-the-art healthcare facility and educational institution recently established to serve the city of Kolkata and the larger community of West Bengal.
The KPCMCH is a society and is registered under Section 4(2) of The West Bengal Societies Registration Act, 1961. The said society is formed by a non-profit foundation sponsored by the renowned orthopedic surgeon and medical entrepreneur Dr. Kali Pradip Chaudhuri.

KPC Medical College and Hospital

KPC Medical College and Hospital

Under the guidance and leadership of Dr. Chaudhuri, the Society has established the KPC Medical College & Hospital which is affiliated to the West Bengal University of Health Sciences and has been approved by the Government of West Bengal. KPCMC&H is the first maiden private medical/healthcare educational institution for undergraduate studies in the state of West Bengal, India. Following recommendation from the Medical Council of India, the Government of India has provided the necessary permission to the Society under section 10(A) of the Indian Medical Council Act, 1956, as amended, for establishment of a new Medical College in the name and style of “KPC Medical College & Hospital”. The institution is currently permitted to admit 150 MBBS students for the academic year 2008-09.

  • Established Year:2006
  • Accreditation :MCI
  • Facilites: Canteen, Hospital, Girls Hostel, Seminar Hall, Medical
  • Top courses: MBBS, MD
View Complete Details

Indian Institute of Science Education and Research

Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Kolkata (IISER Kolkata) was established in 2006 by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India. IISER Kolkata is designed to reach the prestigious position in the global setting that IISc, IIMs and IITs presently enjoy.

Indian Institute of Science Education and Research

Indian Institute of Science Education and Research

IISER Kolkata is an autonomous institution awarding its own degrees. The central theme of the IISER Kolkata is to integrate education with research so that undergraduate teaching as well as doctoral and postdoctoral research work could be carried out in symbiosis.

  • Established Year:2006
  • Accreditation: Other
  • Facilites: Canteen, Boys Hostel, Girls Hostel, Seminar Hall, Medical, Guest House
  • Top courses: BS+MS, PDRP
View Complete Details

Presidency University

The ‘Hindoo College’, established in 1817, was transformed into the ‘Presidency College of Bengal’ in 1855. The Hindoo College was the earliest institution of higher learning in the modern sense in Asia. The Presidency College introduced western education in the historical sense of the term and was originally a non-government college meant for the sons of the Hindu community alone.

Presidency University

Presidency University

But the Centenary Volume (1955) notes: ‘The most striking feature of the Hindu College was its determined effort to impart secular education.’ In 1855 when the Hindoo College was renamed Presidency College, it became a government institution. The college now represented non-denominational secularism and admitted young men from all communities. However, it was only in 1944 that girls were permitted to join the college. Since then, the college has been a co-educational institution.
The Hindoo-Presidency College, which aimed from the beginning at a liberal, scientific and secular education, stood on the side of the ‘Anglicists’ in the famous Anglicist-Orientalist debate. This meant that the college stood for modern, western education in the English medium. This, however, would not entail a neglect of Indian themes and subjects. This was borne out by the contribution of the students of the college to Bengali language and literature. The subjects taught at the outset were English, Bengali, Sanskrit, History, Geography, Chronology, Astronomy, Mathematics, Chemistry and some other science subjects. In addition, Law, Commerce and Engineering were taught for some time, but teaching of these was discontinued later. Consequently, the college emerged as the most celebrated institution in India to impart a humanistic and scientific education.

  • Established Year:2010
  • Accreditation: NAAC
  • Facilites: Canteen, Boys Hostel, Girls Hostel, Medical, Auditorium
  • Top courses: B.SC, BA, MA, M.SC
View Complete Details

Jadavpur University, Faculty of Engineering and Technology

To trace the history of Jadavpur University is to trace a part of India’s freedom movement, at least from the Swadeshi Movement onwards. It was 1905 -1906

Bengal stood divided. The times were feverish.
The hegemony of the British establishment had to be challenged. Education had to play a new role in this changed scenario. It had to become a new form of resistance through which the emergent nationalist spirit could be propagated. With this in mind the National Council of Education (NCE) came into being.

Jadavpur University, Faculty of Engineering and Technology

Jadavpur University, Faculty of Engineering and Technology

Its primary aim was to impart education – literary, scientific and technical on national lines exclusively under national control. To achieve self-reliance, through education. The foundation of the NCE was made possible by the munificence – scholarly as well as monetary – of the likes of Raja Subodh Chandra Mallik , Brajendra Kishore Roychowdhury of Gouripur as well as Sir Rash Behari Ghosh (first President of NCE), poet Rabindranath Tagore and Sri Aurobindo Ghosh.
In 1910 the Society for the Promotion of Technical Education in Bengal which looked after Bengal Technical Institute (which later became College of Engineering and Technology, Bengal) was amalgamated to NCE. NCE henceforth looked after the College of Engineering and Technology, Bengal which by 1940 was virtually functioning as a University. After Independence, the Government of West Bengal, with the concurrence of the Govt. of India, enacted the necessary legislation to establish Jadavpur University on the 24th of December 1955.
Now Jadavpur University has successfully established itself as a foremost Indian University with a vast repertoire of courses offered, an enviable list of faculty members and has come to be known for its commitment towards advanced study and research.

  • Established Year:1955
  • Accreditation:AICTE
  • Facilites: Canteen, Boys Hostel, Girls Hostel, Medical, Auditorium
  • Top courses: B.SC, BA, MA, M.SC
View Complete Details

Faculty of Law, University of Calcutta

The Faculty of Law/ Department of Law, University of Calcutta is situated at 51/1, Hazra Road, Kolkata-700019. The Faculty/Department has six affiliated Law Colleges imparting 5 Years B. A. LL. B. Course. The Department including two other affiliated Law Colleges (Jogesh Chandra Chaudhury Law College and South Calcutta Law College) also imparts B. A. LL. B (Honours) Course. Besides, the Department imparts 2 Years LL. M. Course as well as Ph. D. Programme.

Faculty of Law, University of Calcutta

Faculty of Law, University of Calcutta

The Department also provides Post-Doctoral research (LL.D.) facilities in appropriate cases. The Department of Law, University of Calcutta is in present position since 1983. Following are the existing academic faculty of the Faculty of Law/ Department of Law, University of Calcutta: Prior to 1983, the Department of Law was known as the University College of Law which was established in January 1909.The first step towards the establishment of what Asutosh Mookerjee described in his Convocation Address of 1914 as “the new University of Calcutta”, was taken when under his leadership the Senate of the University decided to establish the University College of Law. Law was Asutosh’s first love. The example of Dwarkanath Mitra senior, who left an imperishable name as Judge of the High Court of Calcutta, inspired Asutosh to the same aspiration. After the passing of the Universities Act of 1904, Asutosh Mookerjee, it is said, was persuaded by Curzon to believe that the Vice-Chancellorship of Calcutta University would come to him after Pedler, if he accepted a seat on the Bench of the High Court at Calcutta. In March, 1904, Asutosh Mookerjee was appointed a Judge of the High Court at Calcutta. He retained his seat on it for twenty years and retired on January 2, 1924. For some time he acted as the Chief Justice of that Court.

  • Established Year:1909
  • Accreditation: BCI
  • Facilites: Canteen, sports, Medical, Auditorium, Placement cell
  • Top courses: BA.LLB, LLM
View Complete Details

 

View all colleges in kolkatta

Leave a Comment